The Morris Building is a new centralised storage facility for St Andrews Links Trust together with supporting Office Accommodation. It sits behind the first green of the Balgove Course.
The St Andrews Links Trust oversees the seven public golf courses in St Andrews, Fife, as well as the Tom Morris shop which dates from 1866. With a number of high end retailers now stocking the Tom Morris merchandise, the Links Trust required a warehouse and office space that would allow them to work to their full potential. The inspiration for the design specification came from the rolling landscape of the links and from Tom Morris himself; as he devoted much of his life to tending the Links with a keen interest in development, sustainability and innovation.
Archial NORR used the concept of the rolling links landscape to create a natural curved building which was to utilise green technologies and a palette of natural materials to minimise the environmental impact. They had to source local materials which were environmentally sound, sustainable and that would tie in with the landscape.
The building was finished in July 2013 and won the DIA Best Public/Commercial Building Project Award.