This fine interior dates from an Edwardian refit of 1902, under local architect William Williamson, and is especially notable for its display of ceramics. The pub now mainly consists of a large bar with a 59ft-long three-sided counter. Originally this space was divided into two by a jug bar entered from Bogies Wynd, the footprint of which can be traced in the mosaic flooring which covers the whole of the present main bar: the jug bar door has been transplanted to the entrance of the gents’. At the back of the extensive servery is a semi-octagonal office with a glazed-in top (such publican’s offices are very uncommon outside London): in front of it stands a long-case clock. As for the amazing ceramics, brown tiles cover the walls and the tall counter front, but pride of place goes to two Doulton pictorial panels, each consisting of a single tile. They show Touchstone and his beloved Audrey from As You Like It. The cartoon for the jester was also used (but with red apparel) in a series of Shakespearean panels at the St James Tavern near Piccadilly Circus in London. There are stained glass windows with the arms of Scotland, England and Ireland (what happened to Wales?). The gents’ are worth a visit for the extraordinary glass-sided Doulton cistern, a pair of marble-framed urinals, tiled walls and mosaic floor. The room at the rear left was brought into use in modern times.