Stobcross is the only surviving relic of this period and can be found some 400 yards from the church along Stobcross Road, just outside the village boundary.
In the middle of the eleventh century a record was found in the Register Book of the Priory of St Andrews which states ‘Malduin, Bishop of St Andrews, gave the Church of Markinch with the land belonging to it, to God and St Servanus and the Culdees of Loch Leven.’
The Norman tower dates from around 1180. It is a category ‘A’ listed building and is one of five similar towers close to Markinch. The tower is 16 feet square and 80 feet tall.
This location is part of the new Augmented Reality trail In the Footsteps of Kings. Download the App and follow Jess the Jester on a Fife adventure.