Discover a world of events and things to do in Fife.

Theatre

Talks and Lectures

Film

Nature, Health and Wellbeing

Comedy

Culture & Heritage

Family

Arts & Crafts

Food and Drink

Music

Sports

Workshops and Classes

View All


Ancestral | Churches & Registry Offices | Churches & Religious Buildings | Wedding Venues

St Brycedale Kirk

The history of this magnificent building begins at the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland when, on 18th May 1843, after vehement protestations against the “institution of patronage”, a large body of ministers and elders withdrew from the Assembly and formed the Free Church of Scotland. About 300 members were left worshipping in Kirkcaldy Parish Church. 

For almost eighteen months, the Free Church worshipped in the building at East Port (later known as St James’ Church), but the congregation soon proceeded with plans to erect a church of its own. A purpose-built church was established in Tolbooth Street (behind the present day M & S store) opening there on 10 November 1844. 

As the congregation of the Free Church grew and its work extended, it was decided, in July 1876, to erect a new church to seat 1150 people. The cost? An estimated £11,500, and Mr Patrick Don Swan, then Provost of Kirkcaldy, gifting a fine site at the top of Kirk Wynd. 

The members of the Free Church named their new building ‘St Brycedale Church’ and the council named the street in front of it ‘St Brycedale Avenue’. 

The building work commenced on 7 November 1877. The architecture is 13th Century Gothic. It is built of Fordell stone and the inside walls of the Tower are built of a hard stone from Gallatown Quarry. The steps at all entrances were finely dressed Aberdeen granite. 

St Brycedale Church was opened on Thursday 17 March 1881, and since that date, there have been only eight ministers serving in St Brycedale. 


address

St Brycedale Avenue
Kirkcaldy
Web: https://www.stbrycekirk.org/
  • about
  • facilities
  • directions
  • pricing
  • enquiries

The history of this magnificent building begins at the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland when, on 18th May 1843, after vehement protestations against the “institution of patronage”, a large body of ministers and elders withdrew from the Assembly and formed the Free Church of Scotland. About 300 members were left worshipping in Kirkcaldy Parish Church. 

For almost eighteen months, the Free Church worshipped in the building at East Port (later known as St James’ Church), but the congregation soon proceeded with plans to erect a church of its own. A purpose-built church was established in Tolbooth Street (behind the present day M & S store) opening there on 10 November 1844. 

As the congregation of the Free Church grew and its work extended, it was decided, in July 1876, to erect a new church to seat 1150 people. The cost? An estimated £11,500, and Mr Patrick Don Swan, then Provost of Kirkcaldy, gifting a fine site at the top of Kirk Wynd. 

The members of the Free Church named their new building ‘St Brycedale Church’ and the council named the street in front of it ‘St Brycedale Avenue’. 

The building work commenced on 7 November 1877. The architecture is 13th Century Gothic. It is built of Fordell stone and the inside walls of the Tower are built of a hard stone from Gallatown Quarry. The steps at all entrances were finely dressed Aberdeen granite. 

St Brycedale Church was opened on Thursday 17 March 1881, and since that date, there have been only eight ministers serving in St Brycedale. 

About
Facilities
Directions
Pricing
Enquiries
  • send
close
Sign up for latest offers and news