The Town House in Kirkcaldy is a Scandinavian influenced building, by architects David Carr and William Howard of Edinburgh who won a design competition. It was started in 1939 but not completed until 1956. Only the foundations had been put in place before construction was interrupted by the Second World War. Work resumed on the building in 1950 and was completed in two separate phases between 1953 and 1956.
The building has recently been overhauled for 21st century use but architects have retained important features such as the huge stairwell mural by Walter Pritchard.