From pop culture to popular protest, the image of Madonna & Child still resonates strongly with people today. In a series of short talks, Dr Emily Savage (School of Art History, University of St Andrews) and four final-year students will examine how artists and activists around the world have (re)interpreted, critiqued, and embraced the image of the Madonna and Child in the 20th and 21st centuries.
* The “Migrant Madonna” imagery in photography
* Feminism and the Hollywood femme fatale
* Breastfeeding and grief in the work of Alice Neel (1900-1984)
* The “Black Madonna” between Europe and the Caribbean
* Gender dynamics in the work of Paula Rego (1935-2022)