Dunfermline City Chambers
Dunfermline City Chambers was built between 1875 and 1879. It was created by James C Walker who also designed the first Carnegie Library. It uses a mixture of French, Gothic and Scots baronial architectural styles and features a prominent four-face clock tower. It was constructed on the site of an older Town House of 1771 which was in its turn built to replace the 17th century Town House, demolished as part of 18th century improvements to make way for Bridge Street.
There are many features of historic and architectural significance in the building. The structure includes heraldic stones recovered from the demolished 1771 Town House. These are plausibly believed to have originated from the now derelict Royal Palace of Dunfermline a few hundred yards to the south. The finely designed interior of the City Chambers incorporates many notable features, in particular the oak hammer beam roof which provides the ceiling for the Council Chamber itself. The historic police cells, although no longer in use, have also been preserved.
The City Chambers is now an administrative facility for Fife Council and can also be hired for functions.
Open all year