St Monans Kirk
The origins of St Monans Kirk date back to 875 when St Monan (or possibly one or more of his bones) was buried here and a shrine was established to his memory. St.Monan was an Irish missionary
who lived in a cell close to where a burn meets the sea and just by the present site of the Old Kirk.
King David (1329-71) enlarged the church to its present size in order to make it a votive chapel in order to give thanks to God that his life was saved following his prayers to St Monan.
The church underwent a thorough renovation in 1826 when the galleries were taken down and the floor was lowered by four feet! It was at this time also that the distinctive buttresses were erected on the exterior. In 1955 work was undertaken to restore many of the original features including the floor level. Over the last ten years much more restoration has been carried out.