The keep dates from the 14th century, and the remaining structures were added piecemeal until the 18th century.
Around the 1360s, the Sibbald fmaily built a barmkin, or fortified courtyard, with a tower house at the north-west corner of the Balgnie lands they had purchased earlier. The castle was extended in 1496 by Sir Robert Lundie who had married the daughter of whom the land and castle was left to.
Eventually the castle fell into the hands of Sir Alexander Leslie in 1635 and he carried out further improvement of his home, adding a two-storey building at the south-east corner of the courtyard.
In 1681 David Melville inherited Balgonie, along with the earldom of Leven. He too added a range of buildings in 1706, this time a three-storey section linking the north range with the south-east block.
The castle is still entered via the 15th century gatehouse.The beautiful chapel and Great Hall have both been fully restored.
Tours are available by arrangement only.Visit Balgonie Castle