Please complete the form below to make an enquiry, one of the team will aim to reply as soon as possible
This was the fortress home of the Lochore family, established by Robert the Burgundian in c.1128.Lochore Castle was described as one of the strongest castles in Fife in the 16th century.
The tower, built in the late 14th century, was surrounded by a curtain wall with four round artillery towers. Excavations in 2015 found medieval pottery imported from France, fine window glass, and a carved stone shot-hole. Conservation works stabilised the ruin in 2016.
Loch Ore was drained in 1792 with the cutting of a large channel, but originally the castle had stood on an island. This was a Celtic crannog dating to at least the 10th century, the medieval name for which was Inchgall, Gaelic meaning ‘Island of the Strangers’. This name refers to the French knights who took over the site. The castle passed successively to the Valognes family and the Wardlaws of Torrie, in the 15th century.
As part of the Living Lomonds Landscape Partnership programme extensive consolidation works were carried out in 2015/16 to secure the future of the building for future generations.