St Athernase Church
St Athernase Church in Leuchars is Fife’s finest surviving example of Romanesque architecture. It was built by Robert de Quinci in 1183-1187 and dedicated by Bishop de Bernham in 1244. An octagonal bell turret was built in the seventeenth century during alterations to the church, while the nave was rebuilt in 1856-1858 by John Milne, during which time restoration work was undertaken.
A roughly oval-shaped graveyard surrounds the church on all sides. It features many eighteenth and nineteenth century gravestones, the oldest of which are to the south west of the church and feature some mortality symbols.
Relics preserved inside include part of a 9th-century cross-slab found near the village (closely comparable to the large collection at St Andrews Cathedral), and three elaborate 16th century memorial stones of the Bruces of Earlshall, the local lairds.
Open to visitors by appointment.Visit St Athernase Church